If you've been to the Mornington Peninsula before we're sure you're all over where to go and what to do, but it's always nice to have someone pointing you in the right direction.
We've curated a list of some of our favourite places to eat, drink, shop and experience as well as a few new places that have popped up recently. Whilst our cottage is a fantastic refuge from busy life, there's definitely no shortage of things to do nearby.
- No.16 Cafe and General store (Rye) - A 10-minute stroll from the Slow Beach Cottage. A fantastic general store offering organic provisions and great coffee. It's just across the road from the breathtaking Beach 16, perfect for a morning walk.
- Peninsula Pantry (Rye) - wonderful little cafe to pick up treats and homemade pastries
- The Sisters Kitchen Garden Cafe (Sorrento) - Great breakfasts amidst edible gardens
- Selection of cafes in Blairgowrie Village to try out when you're collecting your morning paper after a beach walk in Blairgowrie.
AFTERNOON & NIGHT- EATING/DRINKING
We've listed out a couple of drinking and dinner spots but if you feel like cooking at home or need some supplies, Blairgowrie IGA is only a 2 minute drive from here.
David Prosser Seafood (Rye) - Fish and chips done so well they actually taste good for you.
Itali.co (Sorrento) - Delicious Italian and our go-to restaurant. Great for families.
The Baths (Sorrento) - The perfect view for a lazy lunch or dinner. Great sharing plates.
Cakes and Ale (Sorrento) - Really interesting and delicious food, great wine and a friendly, down to earth atmosphere.
Whether you’re looking for some relaxing beach time, the most stunning walks or family activities, tick these off your list if you can:
- Peninsula Hot Springs - a favourite for us and our children. Even better in Winter.There is always a market on over weekends on the Mornington Peninsula, here is a comprehensive list of what's on, where
- Sorrento Artist's Trail - This is an absolute must do for fans of Streeton and Boyd. The views are incredible too.
- Sorrento Back Beach - Goes without saying...
- Portsea Pier - Great for jumping off at high tide and fish watching
- Bushrangers Bay Walk is our favourite walk. Take a look at our Mornington Peninsula Walks book at the house for some inspiration on where to go if you feel like heading outdoors.
- Enchanted Adventure Garden for tree surfing, picnics and a fun day activity with children.
- Sorrento Atheneum Theatre perfect for a rainy day
- Strawberry picking at Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm is a great activity for young children.
- Gunnamatta Trail Rides for anyone who loves horse-riding
You can find majority of the high street shops in the Sorrento strip but here's a few of our favourites to note.